... POST CONTINUED BELOW
1. Middle names are a great way to honor family members or people in your life you think of highly. Here are a few good threads on that subject:
http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/42678593.aspx (purpose of a middle name)
2. Middle names can also be a child’s informal first name, especially if there is a family tradition of all children of one sex being legally given a certain first name, then a middle name would distinguish one family member from another.
http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/28163197.aspx (edited to add)
3. Many people use one middle name, but there are some reasons to use more than one. Here are two threads on two middle names:
A second middle name can also break up any awkward flow between a first name and another middle name, especially if both are firm and you don't want to give them up.
4. Middle names are a good way to be more adventurous.
5. Personally, I like names with a story, so I always to recommend using a name that has personal meaning. Some I’ve seen in the past are: favorite words, name of a constellation under which the guy proposed, family surnames and maiden names.
6. A masculine or feminine middle name can help indicate the sex of a unisex first name.
7. In certain cultures, namers will use the first letter of a name to honor someone. Threads on that subject:
8. Another option with middle names is to choose a name with a different country of origin. If you and your partner are from different countries or have different ancestry, you can chose a first and middle name to reflect that.
9. Go-to middle names (aka filler middle names)
8. A middle name can also reflect the circumstances of the birth. Many American namers will stick to Hope or Faith, if the pregnancy or birth was particularly tough; however, this opens up the possibility of name days (Sunday, Monday etc.), months (June, July, August) or place of birth like in some of these stories:
Middle Name suggestion posts:
Tips and Thoughts for Middle Names
1. Names that begin with a consonant sound and end in a consonant sound are generally more versatile with a variety of first and last names
2. One syllable names are a common choice:
"We hope this website has brought extra humor and fun to the process of coming up with baby names and that you have not taken the Genie too seriously. :)" - BabyNameGenie.com